July 4, 2011

Great Ocean Road and Melbourne

Last Thursday, I rented a car with three friends and headed of on the Great Ocean Road from Adelaide to Melbourne. I read an article about this trip in the New York Times last spring and I've heard a lot about it since getting to Australia - and it was just as awesome as everyone says. I'll try to refrain from putting too many pictures up - if your interested ask me for a slide show when I get back to the US!

Twelve Apostles rock formation along the Great Ocean Road at sunset.
Basically the same view without my ugly head blocking the view.


Beach on the Great Ocean Road just after sunrise.

London Arch as the first sun of the day hits it.

Cove along the Great Ocean Road.

We stopped at a park and saw about two dozen koalas. Most were napping and some were munching away on leaves - that's the life.

Koalas - Totally cute.

The bad news: I still haven't seen a kangaroo. The good news: we didn't hit one with the car!

Just off the road are national parks with some sweet rainforest.

Bell's Beach, which is super famous for surfing.
I hung out in Melbourne for a day and left intensely grateful that I don't live there for the summer. Not because it sucks - but because it is so awesome. Melbourne is one of the best cities I've ever been to, jammed with cafes, restaurants, museums, parks, tiny bars, and totally hooked up with public transport. I'm pretty sure I would achieve no work, and blow through all my money in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment